Friday, January 18, 2013

Block of the Month, block 3


Block of the month, block 3
Shoo fly quilt pattern


The holidays hit me hard this year!  December went by in a frantic flash and before I knew it I was celebrating the new year!...  

By baking of course!  German New's Year's pretzel anyone?

German New Year's pretzel!
Soft, slightly sweet, brushed with glaze mmm
Don't let the photo fool you, this thing was a foot wide

I baked two of these (huge) pretzels from my recipe book Cook's Country, Lost Recipes.  I also learned what mace is: the outside fuzz of a nutmeg berry (thanks wikipedia).  The pretzel is supposed to bring good luck for the new year.




But in all the rush of the holidays, my mom and I realized we forgot to do our December block!  So this week we got together and stitched up block 3! 



Mom's block

My block


This quilt pattern is called 'shoo fly'.  It came together very easily, and we both enjoyed making it.  I think the white dots in my block form an optical illusion that makes it hard to focus on the pattern though!


You can read about our block of the month project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment