Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A pretty petals holiday


Stack of completed clutches

For xmas this year I made every lady on my list a pretty petals clutch, featured in Stitch magazine's spring 2010 issue.  I have always admired this super cute pattern, designed by Rebeka Lambert, who has a shop (artsycraftybabe) on etsy.  I love her 'nanette' purse pattern too.

It worked out perfectly that I had in my stash six cuts of linen in the favorite shade of each of the six ladies!  Linen makes a great purse, and I just love those saturated colors.

So, in assembly line fashion, I begin pulling fabrics and cutting out each little 'petal' individually.  I used several sheets of steam-a-seam.


There were 180 'petals' to cut out in all- and almost no repeats!

After I cut out each petal, I layered them in rows, ironed them in place, and for extra durability, stitched each in place using a stipple foot. 

There were a few modifications I made to the flaps.  I omitted the buttons and made them slightly larger with a top-stitched piece of synthetic leather.


Peeling and placing the petals, with the
help of a latte
Pin, trace, and cut out








To make my flap more substantial,
I added decoratively stitched synthetic
leather to the fronts.
I stitched down each petal using a
variegated thread.  Been sewing for
years and never used variegated
thread- but loved the effect it gave



Detail of flap after assembly
All the ladies loved their presents.  I wish I had made one more for myself!


After I was done, I only had the men to worry about!

No comments:

Post a Comment