Monday, October 1, 2012

Movie Mondays


A recap of this week's screenings.  Proof in writing that I watch too many movies.



Casanova (miniseries 2005)- TV miniseries based on Casanova's life (with some liberties taken).  Stars David Tennant and Peter O'Toole.  I really enjoyed this one-- it was fun and colorful.  It was silly and serious.  It was well filmed and acted.  I had seen David Tennant in He knew he was right, but he didn't make much of an impression on me, but as a young Casanova.. sensitive, intelligent, good listener, funny- in other words, the perfect man.  On a side note, Laura Fraser as Casanova's love interest also starred in He knew he was right.  If you watch much British TV, you will recognize many faces.

Casanova (TV 2005)
Colorful balls in half a dozen countries


Emma (1996)- Based on Jane Austen's novel of the same name and starring Gwenyth Paltrow.  I don't want to say how many times I've seen this, because I'll sound weird.  The movie isn't perfect, but it has a great pace and atmosphere.  Beautiful costumes and in general well cast.  My only complaint is the actress who plays Harriet Smith.. I just don't think she fit the role well.  I love Jane Austen's novels, and I love this period in British history.  What a great time for fashion and literature!  And I love a man in Napoleonic dress...

Emma (1996)
Emma and Mr. Knightley!


I will preface these Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies with this: I love MST3K so hard!  There is a certain nostalgia, as these were always on TV in my teen years.  I also have a love of bad movies.  I watch these and just laugh and laugh.. my husband's favorite parts are the invention exchanges and live action parts, while my favorite parts are the theater scenes.  What are your favorites?

MST3K The Magic Sword- Now we're getting into a 60s genre of movies that I don't like: see the mom witch.  This movie was bad, but I guess that's the point!

MST3K The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent- Oh boy... lots of walking in this one (as Joel and the bots will point out), with a boring  and silly plot. 

MST3K Rocketship X-M- This might be the worst movie I've ever seen.  I could barely stay awake... so boring, so very boring.  Joel and the bots did all they could, but it was really bad.

MST3K Daddy-O- I giggled throughout this one.  There were some good cut sequences with Joel.  I was cackling when he breaks into 'Hike your pants up'

MST3K Untamed Youth- A solid MST3K.  And I actually halfway enjoyed the movie!



This is a sad week for movies!  I spent most of the week cleaning or watching King of the Hill and Dirty Jobs.  I've got to get screening- this queue won't watch itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment