This simple and delicious banana bread recipe comes from a great baker and a great friend to my parents, a woman named Bonnie. This bread is moist, tender, and great with a pat of butter. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family has over the years!
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 overripe bananas
Handful of chopped nuts, optional
Handful of chocolate chips, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cream oil and sugar, either with a hand held mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment
2. Add eggs, beat til combined
3. Sift or whisk together the flour and baking soda; add to sugar mixture and beat til well combined.
*Note: Batter will be very thick
4. Mash the bananas on a plate with a fork. Add bananas to batter, beat until combined, scraping down bowl as necessary.
5. If including chocolate chips and nuts, add them to batter and stir by hand to combine.
Pour batter into greased loaf pan: either one standard size or four mini. This recipe also bakes up well as muffins (just line the tins).
Bake times are as follows:
Standard loaf pan: 1 hour (cover loosely with foil last 10 minutes to prevent over cooking of top)
Mini loaf pan: 35-40 minutes
Muffins: 22-25 minutes
Poke with toothpick to ensure center is done. It should come out clean or with only a few moist crumbs. Take care not to over bake! Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then loosen edges with knife before removing. Cool on wire rack til warm. Store in airtight container.
|A short list of pantry staples make up this bread|
|Cream together the sugar and oil|
|Add the eggs and continue to beat|
The batter is very thick before you add the bananas! The consistency
of cookie dough
|Mash the bananas with a fork first to make them easier to |
After the bananas are beaten, the batter becomes moist. The riper the
bananas, the sweeter the bread will be.
Chocolate chips and nuts and optional, but who would complain?
I like baking them in a mini loaf pan, it cooks up quicker and they are
easier to give as gifts!