Monday, September 3, 2012

Movie Monday



A recap of this weeks screenings.  Proof in writing that I watch too many movies.


Trekkies 2 (2004):  Pretty good.  The best part was the Star Trek tribute bands.  I am a fan of TOS, but haven't really watched any of the other shows.

Parks and Recreation (2009): Watched the newest season (4).  If you haven't seen this show, it's an all around good comedy.

Sunset Boulevard (1950):  I've probably seen this 3-4 times, and it's always good.  It's a cult classic, so give it a watch.  Often imitated but seldom done so well.

George Carlin (1977):  I actually watched three George Carlin stand up specials, which were all good.  His first special aired on HBO in 1977 and before I came on this lady spent 10 minutes warning people that the language and subject matter was going to be strong and controversial.  It was pretty tame by today's standards though!

The Big Lebowski (1998):  What can I say?  It holds up!  I giggled throughout.

Love and Death (1975): Woody Allen spoofs 19th century Russian love story (a genre I enjoy).  This movie wasn't very strong though... something about it was off.  Maybe too disjointed..

Clockwise (1986): John Cleese stars... this was a sort of amusing light comedy that had its good parts, but it's no A Fish Called Wanda.  Of course I love John Cleese and would watch him in almost anything.

Cutthroat Island (1995): I watched this beast of a movie one morning.  What a spectacle!  As I was watching it I kept thinking, "this must have cost half a billion to make."  Well, apparently it was one of the biggest box office failures ever.  I thought it was pretty entertaining, but was Hollywood at its most garish.

Cold Comfort Farm (1995):  I watched this movie with little expectations, and ended up pleased.  My favorite thing was Kate Beckinsale's wardrobe.  I want that wardrobe!

Ginger Snaps Back, the Beginning (2004): 4.5 out of 10 modern horror film.  Set in the 1880s (I think) but the dialog and delivery was 21st century.  The sets were nice though.  I could have been totally fine never seeing this.

Children of the Corn (1984): I forgot how corny this movie is.. it's really bad.  Most things about it are bad.. everything about it is bad.

Erik the Viking (1989):  Terry Jones movie with a very Python vibe.  I enjoyed this one. 

Sleeper (1973):  Probably my favorite screening all week.  This is why I love Woody Allen.  He was channeling Buster Keaton a little bit.  Not in physical comedy (who could) but visually.  It's kind of a silent film with sound set in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment