Monday, August 27, 2012

Movie Mondays



A recap of this weeks screenings.  Proof in writing that I watch too many movies.


Charles II, The Power and the Passion (2003): I just finished reading the novel "Forever Amber", a historical fiction set during the reign of Charles II.  So this miniseries really hit the spot for me.  Also, I love Rufus Sewell.. I have a touch of the ptosis too.
 

Sea Wolf (2009): Miniseries based on the novel by Jack London.  At first I disliked this, mostly because Neve Campbell's voice was getting on my nerves, but it turned out pretty good.  I love Tim Roth (who was creepy good) and Stephen Campbell Moore had a Luke Skywalker thing going on.

Meet Wally Sparks (1997): Rodney Dangerfield being Rodney Dangerfield.  There were some pretty funny sight gags, but it's no Caddyshack.

Tuff Turf (1985): My husband and I MST3K'd this thing from beginning to end.  Even though it stars James Spader (good start) and a supporting role by Robert Downey Jr. (even better), this was unintentionally funny, starting with the opening sequence of the most improbable and un-menacing mugging ever.  It only gets worse...

Fritz the Cat (1972): The first cartoon to get an X rating, though Netflix has it labelled as UR.  This was very dated, but still pretty cool.  There were some good parts, and some disturbing parts, and lots of parts that are not PC. 

The Affair of the Necklace (2001): This movie stars Hilary Swank and is based on true events right before the French revolution.  Unfortunately, the true events have gotten the Hollywood treatment, with hokey and pandering results.  I found this blog about the real life lady, which is very interesting.

From Time to Time (2009): OK, so this was a watchable movie about a boy who visits Grandma and finds out all kinds of things about his ancestral home.  It stars a shocking amount of actors from Downton Abbey.  But... it's geared towards preteens, so be prepared to guess the plot of the story before it gets started.  I would have thought this was super cool when I was 14.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983): It had been awhile since I'd seen this one.  Love, love it!!  Graham Chapman towards the end as the American singer with the fluorescent white teeth-- too much!

 
Wilfred (2011):  I think this was on last weeks Movie Monday as well.. this is a good show.  I like Elijah Wood... Funny show.

Frontrunners (2008):  This doc is about the election for senior class president at an elite New York high school.  It was OK, but a pretty standard documentary.

Private School (1983): This is a late night comedy- which I normally love (I love exploitation films).  But this one was bad, even for the genre, which is in general bad.  It was 2 hours long!!  And it should have been 1:20. 

Mulholland Falls (1996): All star cast, 1950s gumshoe genre.  Pretty good- beautifully filmed.  Nick Nolte had a Spencer Tracy sex appeal going on.  It went on a little long though.. sort of rambled along to a rather disappointing ending.

From Dusk Til Dawn (1996): It had been a long time for this one too.  This movie is very aware that it is silly, and embraces it fully.  Good entertainment.

My Chauffeur (1986): This was hard to get through.  I disliked it from the beginning, and I could punch the lead actress in the face without any guilt.  The plot was silly and made little sense, a lot of the humour was hateful.  Truthfully, I did the dishes through a large portion of the this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment